It's easy to sit on the sidelines as an observer-parent, but distant from the action. Often we moms find ourselves waiting in the car for the piano or karate lesson to be over or consumed with preparing dinner while our children are tugging at us to go outside. I remember days sitting by the local pool, worn out from the morning's work, watching my children happily frolic in the water while I mulled over the laundry awaiting me at home or worked on bill-paying or some other task I'd brought along.
~ the cheerful heart has a continual feast ~ proverbs 15:15
One summer when we were living in Maine, I'd driven to the beach where I was glad to be able to stretch out in my striped beach chair and read while our kids played and swam. It takes a conscious effort to drive into those cold, 50-degree Maine ocean waves, just as it takes a conscious effort to get involved with your kids in their everyday playtime activities.
That day, I realized it was a golden opportunity to join my kids in something they truly enjoyed. That in all the hours of going our separate ways in work, school, scouts, or sports, this might be the only chance I'd have today for close, personal involvement in my kids' lives.
Seize it! my heart said.
It's too cold! my body answered.
But by taking the plunge (after getting used to the freezing water), I made great memories with my kids - memories of jumping the waves, of the sandy peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches, of laughing at the sea gulls that dive-bombed our food, of the sea shells we collected and brought home in a coffee can.
~ Let the children laugh and be glad. O my dear, they haven't long before the world assaults them. Allow them a genuine laughter now. Laugh with them, till tears run down your faces - till a memory of pure delight and precious relationship is established within them, indestructible, personal, and forever. ~ Walter Wangerin
It is in such moments of shared activity that a strong, loving parent-child relationship is built. Along with all the meals, tasks, and happenings of everyday family life, together times form and cement a solid foundation for learning and life. Times of "being there," in play or activity, not preoccupied with adult worries and concerns but really observing, listening, and being involved, tell a child with your actions, "I love you. You're important enough to warrant my presence and my full attention."
Nowadays, "jumping in" for me means playing the part of Captain Hook while our granddaughter Caitlin is Peter Pan, or acting as the troll while she plays the parts of the Three Billy Goats Gruff stomping across the bridge. She has a great imagination, and mine's getting a little better from her influence. It's throwing a Nerf ball with little Noah or Caleb or running through leaves with them.
~It is a happy talent to know how to play. ~ Ralph W. Emerson
Whether it's on Saturday, Sunday afternoon, or in the evenings, look for moments you can "jump in" with your child. Seize these times, and enjoy every minute!
Question for Reflection
Where is a place you can "jump in" with your child this week?
Taken from 'The Mom You're Meant to Be' by Cheri Fuller
No comments:
Post a Comment